Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Mark Ruffalo Talks AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON.



Continuing their week of AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON exclusives, Empire posted a new interview with Mark Ruffalo earlier today in which he talks about AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON, the clues the movie will contain for his character in the future, Science Bros, and more!

Where is Bruce when this movie begins?
I think he’s definitely matured a little bit since the last one. He’s become more acclimated to this thing and to being part of the team. I think he feels more a part of them all. But in this particular take on it, it’s a much more character-driven version of The Avengers than the first one. It gets a little deeper into each character. S.H.I.E.L.D. is not happening anymore, so there’s not that much time spent with the S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff. I feel that every character has their own cool little thing happening. I had great stuff in the last one but there’s even more stuff in this one. It’s nice, because I know this character now after playing him twice…
Three times if you count the end of Iron Man 3…
That’s right! They sort of grow on you a little bit, I think. It’s nice to build upon something that was already there and it’s easier than starting all over again.
Your version of this character really seems to have pierced the public’s consciousness.
That’s nice to hear. It seems like they conflate Bruce and the Hulk. It’s usually, ‘HULK!’ as I’m walking across the street. But sometimes it’s ‘Banner!’ If you go on my Twitter feed you’ll see it’s mostly Hulk. I think it was pretty spectacular what we were able to accomplish, with CGI, with The Hulk, and I can’t take full credit for that. But what they do say is very flattering and very encouraging. I think for the most part, they feel satisfied with it. It’s a beloved part for so many people, including myself. I remember when it was announced that I got the part – there was a fair amount of booing and hissing. I made the mistake of going online and looking at a thread where people were talking about it, and it was not glowing, to say the least. So it’s been nice that for the most part people accept me in that part now.
Mark Ruffalo Talks Avengers: Age Of Ultron
So you’ve seen a lot of the ‘Science Bros’ stuff on Tumblr?
They did all kinds of stuff, I’ve seen all of it. I think it’s really cool that there’s this kind of open source riffing based on these pop culture references. I get a kick out of it, I didn’t think it was going to turn into that. Robert has been a friend of mine before these movies, I’ve worked with him before. He has been very supportive of me, and kind of like my big-brother-older-actor friend. I felt really comfortable shooting that stuff with him, and that was kind of my meat of the movie. We worked really well together and the dynamics of that relationship are kind of the dynamics of our relationship, in a weird way. And so it worked. I had no idea it was going to pop in the way it did and the funny ways it spun off. It’s become quite a, let’s say, fetish for some folks. Science Bros Plus.
In Age Of Ultron, what can you say about The Hulk? We’ve seen the Hulkbuster concept art, so is it safe to assume that Banner can no longer control him?
I made the mistake of going online and looking at a thread where people were talking about my casting, and it was not glowing, to say the least.
Hulk is the kind of wild card. He’s the loose cannon of the group. He’s more like an atom bomb. You could guess where he’s going to go but he could go either way. I think that there is, obviously, the day when everyone expects it to go wrong and that day comes. And they’re ready. And Bruce designed the contingency plan. As much as you feel Bruce has some mastery over it – certainly, with ‘I’m always angry’ and he can turn into it at will – I still feel that there’s some part of him that doesn’t completely trust it and doesn’t completely trust himself. There’s a battle going on between these two opposing egos that live inside him. He’s definitely worried that the day is going to come when the Hulk gets the best of him, and maybe won’t release him, maybe won’t give him back. The Hulk knows this too. There’s a moment in here where he, begrudgingly, decides to go back to Banner. Who knows where these things will go, but as Bruce is able to impress his will on the Hulk, going into The Hulk and being inside the Hulk when he’s raging, The Hulk’s will is also growing and able to impress upon Bruce. That makes for some wild things. We’re laying the groundwork for that here. It’ll be interesting to see if that ends up being what would be the next Hulk movie.
When Ruffalo was announced as taking on the role of Bruce Banner/The Hulk in THE AVENGERS, I was pretty excited. I'd been a fan of his for some time, and I couldn't wait to see how he would tackle the character.To me, he IS The Hulk. He does a wonderful job with this character, he is great with his fans (if you're not following him on Tumblr, you should really fix that), and I would love to - eventually - see him get his own solo Hulk movie.

To read the rest of the interview, which is quite interesting and probably my favorite of the recent batch of AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON interviews, make sure to head over to the source!

Source: Empire Magazine!

No comments:

Post a Comment