Thursday, February 5, 2015

Jeff Bridges Wanted Iron Monger To Survive The End of IRON MAN.


Jeff Bridges, who appeared in the first IRON MAN movie as Obadiah Stane (Iron Monger), recently talked to IO9 while promoting his latest movie, SEVENTH SON. During the interview, he brought up Iron Monger and the IRON MAN movie. He talks about how he wanted his character to survive, and how there really wasn't a script for the film. (This isn't a new fact; this has been mentioned a few times, if I remember correctly.)

Here's what he had to say during the interview:
The Iron Monger.
The Iron Monger falls into this big pit of whatever it is, some kind of acid or something, in his costume. They pull it up in the big crane and they open up his costume and he's gone. And when we were shooting that film they said, "No we're not going to do that. We're just going to have you go." And I said, "Oh shit, I was kind of disappointed." Because I was thinking [I would] be in the sequels. But they said it's a comic book maybe the Iron Monger will come back. I said "Yeah, right." 

Is it funny looking back at how huge [the Marvel Cinematic Universe] is and that you were at the start of it? Did anyone have any idea how big it was all going to turn out?
It was the wildest adventure. And I think it's the best of all those superhero movies. Of course you have Jon Favreau at the helm, he's amazing. He's a wonderful actor and really into improvisation. And then we had [Robert] Downey [Jr.] who is a master at improvisation, because that was certainly a needed talent on that movie. Because of the script. The script, you'd think with a $200 million dollar movie, they'd have a script that everybody liked. But nobody including the financiers, the Marvel people, nobody liked the script. So we would come to work and we would meet in my trailer and figure out what the days work was going to be. What we were going to say, for hours. Playing each others parts, putting it on, "Okay, now let's try this. Hey, I know a writer, I'm going to call this guy — he may have a good idea." 

Who did you call?
No, this was Favreau calling up people. And the crew is in there, tapping their foot, waiting for us to come to work. 

Is that stressful?
Well it was very stressful because I like to be prepared. Until I made a little tiny adjustment in my brain and that was, "Jeff now come on, just relax. What you're doing [is], you're making a $200 million dollar student film. Just relax and have fun and play." And from then on, we just had fun and it was wonderful. I think that was the best of all the superhero movies. 
You can read the rest of the intereview by heading to the source below.

Source: io9.

No comments:

Post a Comment