Friday, January 30, 2015

Joss Whedon Speaks Out About Misogyny In Superhero Movies.

As a female comic book fan, I've gotta admit, as happy as I am that we're finally getting more female led comic book properties on both the big & small screen (CAPTAIN MARVEL, AGENT CARTER, and A.K.A. JESSICA JONES), I'm a bit disappointed that it has taken this long. And I'm glad to see that Joss Whedon, the man that helped to bring THE AVENGERS to life on the big screen (and, more importantly, created BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER) agrees with this.


In an interview with Digital Spy, which was conducted while he was filming AGE OF ULTRON and before Marvel announced CAPTAIN MARVEL, Whedon had the following to say:
“It’s a phenomenon in the [film] industry that we call ‘stupid people’,” Whedon said. “There is genuine, recalcitrant, intractable sexism, and old-fashioned quiet misogyny that goes on. You hear ‘Oh, [female superheroes] don’t work because of these two bad ones that were made eight years ago’, there’s always an excuse.”

He then followed up on those comments in a new interview with Buzzfeed:
Were you aware of the Captain Marvel movie when you did that interview last summer?
JW: Yes, and not expecting it to get any traction, honestly. That’s something that [Marvel Studios chief] Kevin [Feige] has been working on for a while. And I obviously was a cheerleader, but he had to get all the ducks in a row and get all the minds in agreement. I think being a part of Disney maybe makes it easier, because they’re open to it. And Marvel now is in a position to shake up its own paradigm, because it’s got such a success record.
Honestly, you know, Guardians [of the Galaxy] might have helped it, just because that was outside what was considered to be their box and did so well that— Well, let’s put it this way: If a raccoon can carry a movie, then they believe maybe even a woman can.
He also briefly talked about any possible involvement on the upcoming CAPTAIN MARVEL movie:
That is very well put. I mean, you are figuratively crowning and I’m asking you if you want to have another baby, but given the reports that the Russo brothers will potentially be the directors of the next Avengers movies, would you see yourself doing Captain Marvel? That is certainly in your wheelhouse.
JW: Um, I would never rule anything out, because I like working here. By the same token, the biggest thing for me is that I need to do something that I create myself. It’s been way too long since I created a universe. The last thing I did before The Avengers was [directing an episode of] Glee, and in between I did Much Ado About Nothing. So I haven’t created my own universe for over five years. That feels wrong. You know, my own universe might be a book of haiku. I’m not necessarily saying I’ve got a grand scheme.
I will say that when I was thinking about, Well, if I wasn’t going to do Avengers 2, what would I want to do? — of course the first thing I thought of was “turn-of-the-century female Batman.” Not Batman actually. But, you know, something cool. One person. Can’t stress that enough. Movie about one person — not a team, not 10, just one. But [I would] do a nice sort of hard action movie that combined all my favorite things. Something that would be the love child of Sam Fuller and Edward Gorey. You know, I’ve had many thoughts since then. Oh, I could do this! Oh, I could do that! But it is my instinct to want to tell those stories.
Captain Marvel I don’t know as well. There have been a few [versions] of her. I have the first issue of Ms. Marvel, back when she was that, and had the Farrah hair. My only issue with her is that she always felt sort of on top. She was very driven. A winner. I always like to dig into the soil of things to find my heroes, if I can. 
I've gotta admit, while I'm bummed to see Whedon won't be back for two part INFINITY WAR, I'm excited to see what he has planned next. I've all of his work in the past (especially BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER and DOLLHOUSE). With that said, I'm really hoping he gets involved with CAPTAIN MARVEL to some extent. I would love to see what he can do with Carol and her story. 

Source: Buzzfeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment